2.18.2011

milspouse friday fill in


I did this the first week and then life got .... life-like and crazy busy. Head over to Wife of a Sailor to see some more.

1. What is your favorite MilSpouse blog (not including Wife of a Sailor who we all love, or your own)?
I love
The Mrs at Trying Our Best. She's honest about the struggles of having 3 kids and a hubby that's gone a lot, but not in the "oh I hate the world" way.

2. What are your favorite perks about your s/o being deployed (we all know there are perks)?
The "nice" answer is getting to travel to see him. We were really lucky on his first deployment and I was able to fly to see him twice (and see 4 continents in the process). The more honest answer is that I get my control fix. No compromising and waiting until he's ready to do something. It works out well though because after 6 months of making every single decision, I gladly pass the reigns and let him do his Hubby thing.

3. How long did you date your before getting engaged? Married?
We moved fast. Or at least I thought so until I met other mil spouses. We dated for 3 months and 2 days before we were engaged. I called my mom after our first date and told her we were getting married though so it was no real shock to people. We got married just shy of a year from the day we started dating.

4. What do you think your would do if s/he wasn’t in the military?
Hubby dreams big. Our joke is that he likes jobs that he doesn't have to see me much. I think his current plan is either to get an MBA and work on Wall Street or to go to law school.

5. If you could talk to the Secretary of (fill in your appropriate branch) what is one suggestion you would like to bring to their attention in order to improve the lives of military families?
We matter. How you treat spouses and families impacts job satisfaction and productivity. Please be nice. The Navy is not for forever. Family is.

2 comments:

To the Nth said...

"The Navy is not for forever. Family is."

And woe betide the Sailor who forgets that, or thinks the Navy loves him. :-P

I'm so glad you were able to travel to see your husband over the course of his deployment. I'm hoping we'll be able to arrange something similar, but I'm not sure if everything will come together this time. Someday, certainly, but I must admit to hoping we can make it happen sooner rather than later.

Unknown said...

I'm hoping to do some port calls on the next deployment, whenever that may be:)

It would be nice in the "little" Navy would remember that family is important sometimes! Sometimes they do a good job and sometimes...not so much.