My Labor Day

I wrote this just after The Bear was born. I am so very glad I did. While I'll always remember parts of it, I'm glad it's written down to really remember. It might be overly gross if you have not given birth.

But, this was my labor day.

We went into the hospital Thursday night, December 6th, at 6 pm to be induced. I was 37 weeks, 1 day. There were problems with the umbilical cord. They said he would be safer being born at 37 weeks than risking being inside me longer and being stillborn.

The put in the first pill around 8 pm. I was all hooked up to a million machines and they said I was having contractions that were about 2 minutes apart. (Made me feel stupid since I just thought my back was hurting) I had another pill inserted at 1 am and a third at 5:30 am. All this time, I was 1 cm dialated.

They came in to check me at 9 am and I was at 2 cm. So excited for change.

At 10 am, things got scary. I was having very strong contractions and The Bear's heart rate kept dropping. I wanted an epidural (the doctors said I was in the hardest labor it would be, but I was done). In order to have the epidural, they wanted to break my water to insert a monitor on The Bear's head to measure his heart rate (they can't do it for the 10 minutes or so it takes to get the epi set up). They did that and started to insert the epidural. They did it wrong - and had to come back later to fix it (my left side was still getting all the feeling). During all this, The Bear's heart rate was going crazy. They started some sort of fluid flow through the uterus since them breaking the water eliminated the cushion The Bear had had from the contractions. I was put on oxygen and given a shot to stop the contractions since they were now coming non-stop without any break between them. Hubby lost it watching me hooked up to so many machines and the room full of doctors (there were 7 doctors and 3 nurses in there at that time).

The shot didn't stop the contractions or really slow them down. It just made them more regular with breaks in between. After all this, I was at 4 cms by 11 am.

At 2 pm, I had this very strong urge to go to the washroom - like poop. The doctor came in and I was at 10 cm. I started pushing at about 2:20 pm (Hubby had decided to go get lunch at 1:50. He has great timing like that.)

The Bear was born at 2:49 pm. 5 pounds, 11 ounces. 19 inches long.

They checked him out and we were able to see him at 3:15ish for 20 minutes. Then, they took him away to the nursery since he was little and not breathing consistently. He finally got to back to us around 8 that night.

My favorite parts of it all -
The doctor saying he would never want to baby-sit. He said The Bear was too feisty for him.
We were put into room 6 - Dec 6th at 6 pm in room 6.
We had CMT on the TV during labor. The Bear was born during "It's a great day to be alive" played.

Holding my baby for the first time