6.14.2010

opinionated: abortion

Following my warning yesterday, I decided to jump right into the heavy stuff.

Disclaimer of sorts. These are my opinions. Not any group I'm associated with. Not the Navy's (because you know there are crazy people out there that make connections like that at then yell at me - that's a whole different post though). You're welcome to disagree. In fact, I welcome it. Just be polite.

I am pro-choice.

I find it odd that we can do a myriad of things to our bodies that harm ourselves and others, but abortion is so taboo.

Personally, it's not a choice that I would make. It doesn't fit me. I don't feel like I have the right to tell others what is best for them. Some people are not meant to be parents. Or parents at the time in their life when they get pregnant. Ideally, there would be a great support system in our country to provide great prenatal care, amble information on adoption, plentiful birth control, knowledge on how our bodies work . . . But, there isn't. Until there are these things, I don't feel it's right to demand that no one can have an abortion. Remember Nebraska's safe haven law? Great step in the right direction, but it didn't work. There are people practically shouting that they need help. Provide the help before you add more kids to the mix that need it.

There is nothing more damaging to a child than being told point blank that they were not wanted and they are not loved.
A mother not wanting her child (even if she gets adequate prenatal care) puts that child at a higher risk for learning disabilities.
Can society provide the emotional, physical and mental support to kids coming from these homes?

Yes, the Bible says that God made us and knew us in the womb. The Bible says lots of things that people seem to gloss over to fit their needs. Leviticus 19:27. We all have no problems ignoring that one. I am a Christian, but you have to take things with a grain of salt. God gives us children. And, he gave us knowledge to do what was best. Sometimes we need to do painful things because they get us to the end result God intended.

I said earlier that I would not have an abortion. I'm sure there are circumstances in which I might change my mind. Would you have an abortion if it would save your life? If it would save the lives of your mom, husband and other children? I don't know. But, it's my right to make those decisions - not the government's.

That's my opinion though. What's yours?

3 comments:

Julie Danielle said...

I am really torn on this one. I do think abortion is wrong but I don't really think it should be illegal. Also in the cases where the mother would die that really needs to be up to the mom & her doctor. There are other cases too where I can see why someone would feel the need to have one. It's a sticky issue for me.

Anonymous said...

I believe it should be left up to the individual after being given informed advice. It is a different situation for everyone. I have read reports of women who wanted an abortion and were pursuaded otherwise and do not regret changing their minds saying that having the child enriched their lives beyond all expectations. I am sure the opposite can be said of others too. I think the issue to be concerned about is how far into a pregnancy a women can be allowed to have an abortion. Babies are commonly born and surviving at 24 weeks. Some countries allow abortion up to 28 weeks. This is where the debate should be focussed.

Meg said...

I really believe that abortion should be legal.
That being said, I find it morally wrong.
BUT ok when the health of the mother is at risk, that kind of thing.
I do not believe that people should abort their baby because that baby will be born with a defect or disease. (that is on the rise and I was told by a mother who has a daughter with down syndrome that the numbers are higher than the concentration camps! Appalling!)

It is such a heated debate.

The reason I think it should be legal is because I read back to when abortion wasn't legal and women had "back alley" abortions performed and women were DYING because of them!

Just because I find it wrong, not everyone shares my opinion.

Women fought hard for rights and I think it should be a womans right to choose.