2.01.2010

top ten tuesday {i wish i knew how}


I like to learn. I would like to be a lifelong learner. A modern Renaissance Man. I know lots of random and useless information which comes in handy if you're playing Trivial Pursuit. But, most of my life is not spent playing Trivial Pursuit. So here is a list of things I wish I knew how to do.

1. Quilt. I can sew easy things. I have a sewing machine. I like to buy fabric. I just wish I had someone that could teach me to make a quilt. Nothing fancy. Just a simple quilt.

2. Use a crock pot. I have a confession. I HATED crockpots. Like with a passion. We never had one when I was a kid, and the only people I ever saw using them were country bumpkins. I have seen the light. I apologize for all my 22 year old opinions. I own one now. And, I love it. I just wish I had more things I knew to cook in it.

3. Parallel park the new minivan. I taught myself to parallel park when I was in college. Apparently, learning to drive in the Chicago suburbs did not validate learning to parallel park. We had parking lots everywhere. I know I can do it with time. Just hasn't been something I want to do with 2 small, screaming children in the car.

4. Write in calligraphy. It just looks so pretty.

5. Grocery shop with both boys. I know I will learn this. The whole eating during the deployment would be nice. Unfortunately, I don't have the logistics of it all down yet.

6. Decorate cakes. Not just the boring icing stuff; I can do that much. I would love to take a cake decorating class. Someday.

7. Keep flowers alive. I've gotten better with not killing all my houseplants. But, if it flowers, I'm awful.

8. Change a flat tire. My dad walked me through it before and I know the general order of things. It would be cool to actually change one once. This is a completely useless thing to know. If I ever needed a tire changed, I would just call our insurance since that's part of what we pay for.

9. Eat seafood. You should never take your overly sensitive, animal loving child to see live fish (at an aquarium, pet store or in the ocean) and then go to a seafood restaurant. It doesn't end well. It might even cause her to start sobbing when she's 19 years old and you're out at a fancy Mother's Day dinner. Do not show her the lobster tank, pick out your lobster and then have said lobster be served as your dinner.
I can't eat seafood. It makes me gag to think about. (Yes, I do eat beef occasionally. We only eat meat once a week though. And, we never went on vacation to a farm.)

10. Be paid to be a mommy. Why not dream big here?

Check out other lists at OhAmanda's site.

8 comments:

KK said...

I love quilting and crockpots!!! I have great books for both....if you ever want to borrow them I'd be more then willing to lend them to you.

Roller Coaster said...

Crockpots are awesome! And when you find a way to get paid to be a mommy, let me know!

Nashville TV Show said...

Ok, I'm so with you on #7 - everything dies in my house!!! Great list though & unfortunately I can relate to too many of them:(

Anonymous said...

Okay, quilting, crock pots, and cake decorating, I know. If you need help in those areas, I'd be happy to offer suggestions, reading, or websites that could help.

ohAmanda said...

Actually, #9 made me feel kinda queasy! :)

Oh, THE CROCKPOT! How could I live without it? I make so many yummy things in it--lately my new thing is to just buy chicken and cook it. Then shred it, pack it into individiual baggies and freeze it. When it's time to cook dinner, the chicken is already done! SO EASY.

Have you read:
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Found lots of good ones there!
a

Roller Coaster said...

I just read the latest comment from oh amanda, and oh amanda what a fantastic idea about cooking chicken and freezing it! I'm gonna have to steal that one. And I love that slow cooker blog as well. Do you have her book? I have one of her recipes in the crock right now!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

I dream about decorating cakes too. They are always so beautiful and I think, why can't I do that? But I've never actually tried. Maybe someday.

Anonymous said...

This is a great list! Crockpot = Mom's best friend. You'll even love it more when your boys are bigger and busier! My Dad insisted I know how to change a tire before I got my license - thank GOD for AAA!!